The Alpha Epsilon Chapter at the State University of New York at Plattsburgh College was established in the Fall of 2005 by six diverse, ambitious, and influential women: Hermana Melissa Garcia, Hermana Ivonne Gomez, Hermana Alysia Velez, Hermana Stephanie Ruiz, Hermana Tanya Henry, and Hermana Carol Olate.
In their research, the six chapter founders were drawn to Sigma Lambda Upsilon's mission along with its goals and ideals. As an interest group, they met Hermanas who not only embody the sorority’s goals but were movers and shakers on their respective campuses and were driven to accomplish the impossible. At the time, SUNY Plattsburgh had no diverse Greek system in place nor was the school aware of the significance that a Latina-based sorority can bring to a campus and community. Therefore the interest group felt the need to show the SUNY Plattsburgh community what Sigma Lambda Upsilon has to offer not only to the present campus but to future generations of students. The six chapter founders knew that they were embarking in a journey to sincere sisterhood that lasts Hasta La Muerte and that their legacy at their school will forever be remembered.
After three years of facing adversity, the sorority expanded to SUNY Plattsburgh's campus as the Always Exclusive, Alpha Epsilon Chapter.
Throughout the years, the Alpha Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Lambda Upsilon has raised the standards at SUNY Plattsburgh with outstanding programming, inspirational leadership, distinguished academic excellence, and strong commitment to community service and cultural enrichment.
Overall, the Hermanas of the Alpha Epsilon Chapter strive for the creation of unity amongst all women who uphold the goals and ideals of the sorority and who are committed to advocating and empowering underrepresented populations.
Poetry Slam- Spring semester
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Alpha Epsilon Chapter: SUNY Plattsburgh
- *President's Cup (2006)
- Outstanding Service Award (2010)
- Senior Achievement Award-Annais Gonzalez & Jessica Peralta (2010)
- EOP Award-Annias Gonzalez (2010)
- Phenomenal Women Award-Takia Caballero & Carol Olate (2010)
- Emerging Leader Award-Takia Caballero (2010)
- Vice President of Student Affairs Community Service Award (2006)
- Student Affairs Vision Award of Excellence (2006)
- Best Inter-Sorority Association Delegates- Alysia Velez & Stephanie Ruiz (2008)
- 1st Place Greek Idol (2008)
- 1st Place Greek Banner (2006, 2010)
- Excellent Inter-Sorority Association Member - Carol Olate (2006)
- Academic Excellence: Most A's Winner - Ivonne Gomez (2006) Annais Gonzalez (2009)
- Academic Excellence Award- Ivonne Gomez (2005 & 2006)
*most prestigious award given to any organization (greek or non-greek)